Community Builder and Happiness Manager
Do you love to learn? Are you passionate about working with youth? Do you want to participate in the creation of the school of the future? Our Dream School is seeking a multi-talented intern to support our youth cohorts.
Our Dream School’s mission is create a paradigm shift in learning worldwide. We are creating a new learning model that empowers happy, lifelong learners and is responsive to the needs and preferences of today’s and future generations.
You will play a vital role in helping to grow the strength of our culture and community, as well as to support the overall happiness of our learners.
This is not a traditional education internship. There are no classes or grades or curriculum at Our Dream School. Our learning guides co-design passion projects and learning experiences with our learners, facilitate personal development workshops, provide one-on-one coaching and mentoring, and collaborate with our many partners to craft a purpose-inspired, personal, experiential and community-engaged learning experience for all our learners.
This is a startup! So we are looking for someone who is collaborative, communicates well, understands the importance of strong personal relationships and thrives in a fast-paced, innovative and agile environment.
This is a non-static, hands-on internship. We will coach you on how to do all of these effectively:
- Work with learners, parents, and our partners to develop clubs such as: Bike repair, Dungeons and Dragons, Breakdancing, Chess, Video Game Design... or anything else their hearts should desire.
- Creating a pre-service training for learners so they are adequately prepared to represent Our Dream School in the community and fully enjoy and contribute to their volunteer, internship or excursion experience.
- Quality control for volunteer experiences. This means:
- Work with learners, parents, and staff to develop ongoing cultural activities such as open mics, dances, outings, etc.
- Co-design and create a space for learners for when they arrive, during breaks, and at lunch in which they can interact, play or relax in a device-free environment.
- Collect data about the learner experience through surveys, focus groups and interviews so that we can better serve them.
- Develop learner-led groups, depending on demand from the learners such as a learner council or a conflict-resolution group.
- Build community through physical activity during our morning movement hour.
- Ability to connect quickly and build trust with both our youth and our team.
- Experience supporting youth: guiding, coaching, facilitating, mentoring, counseling, tutoring, etc. At the core of all of these is the capacity to build strong, positive relationships and to identify what role you need to play for each youth.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in English (Spanish a plus)
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Ready to learn from failure and embrace an iterative process, understanding that success comes sooner with trial and error.
- Flexible and open-minded, especially working in a startup environment. Successful candidates are optimistic, generative and open to new ideas and ways of working.
The internship is unpaid, but you will gain valuable experience for your CV through working on a wide variety of tasks and through ongoing coaching. This will give you the chance to improve both your professional and personal skills. As Our Dream School is still in startup mode, you will have greater responsibility than in other internships, and you will have the chance to make a real impact on the lives of our learners and the development of a model that will impact youth worldwide. The Our Dream School model is based on rapid scalability. An internship with us will certainly make you look like a more attractive candidate to fill positions as we quickly grow worldwide. We also provide assistance in applying for grants like Erasmus+.
Time engagement: 20 hours per week
Length of the internship: 6-9 months
Application period: Ongoing
Start date: Flexible
How to Apply:
Please send us your CV and a 2-3 minute video that describes A) why you are interested B) why you would be good in the role and C) how you can grow the vision of Our Dream School. Feel free to email us with any questions you have that will help you answer these questions.