Maker Educator Studio Lead
Do you love to learn? Are you passionate about making and working with 11-19 year olds? Do you want to participate in developing the school model of the future? Then, this may be the role for you …
Learnlife is seeking a multi-talented maker educator to join our team.
Learnlife’s mission is to create a paradigm shift in learning worldwide. We are creating a new learning model that empowers happy, lifelong learners, and is responsive to the needs and preferences of today’s and future generations. Get a glimpse of how we learn here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQ5_p-3NCA
You will play a vital role in shaping Learnlife’s maker culture. Your involvement will be instrumental in growing and executing our vision to cultivate self-determined, lifelong learners.
This could be one role for one person, or the role could be divided into different part-time positions: maker educator, studio manager, studio lead. The maker educator is a non-traditional teaching position. There are no classes or grades or curriculum. Our maker educators co-design passion projects and learning experiences, host hackathons, provide one-on-one mentoring, and collaborate with our many partners to craft a purpose-inspired, experiential and community-engaged learning experience for all our learners. The studio manager is in charge of studio logistics and coordination, whereas the studio lead is responsible for developing the studio model, training studio experts, codifying the work we do, communicating our successes externally, and much more.
This is a startup! So we are looking for someone who is collaborative, communicates well, understands the importance of strong personal relationships and who thrives in a fast-paced, innovative and agile environment.
What you will do as:
- Design and facilitate hands-on maker-related learning experiences (STEAM and beyond)
- Act as a guide, coach, mentor, passion pusher, facilitator, curator, and whatever else our learners need us to be for them.
- Promote maker culture across all programs, lead related professional development sessions as needed.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional, agile team that develops engaging, effective transdisciplinary learning experiences.
- Collaboratively design and participate in training and coaching sessions for learning guides and partners who work with our learners.
- Monitor learners’ progress, co-create authentic assessments, and track growth.
- Stay current with maker trends, ed and industry innovations, and local and/or global related events
- Coordinate with studio experts: purchasing, scheduling, etc.
- Manage studio budget
- Further develop and manage inventory system
- Manage and improve all studios
- Machine maintenance
- Recruit partnerships and maintain existing relationships
- Lead collaborative envisioning sessions.
- Deeply understand the paradigm and the vision.
- Communicate the vision and paradigm internally and externally.
- Lead cycle reviews to evaluate progress toward enacting the vision and to identify when practices or behaviors might not be aligned with the paradigm.
- Develop the studio team’s capacity to grow the vision.
- Lead studio workshops
- Iterate upon the studio model
- Codify the studio model and key learning experiences to share with other Learnlife hubs
- Experience with digital fabrication tools (CNC, laser, 3D printer, etc.) and related software and basic carpentry skills.
- Ability to quickly connect and build trust with others
- C2 level of English, bonus points for C1 or higher in Spanish and Catalan.
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively in a fast-paced, agile environment
- You are ready to learn from failure, ask for help when you need it, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error.
- (Maker + Lead) 3+ years experience working with 11-19 year olds, most of which is in innovative learning environments.
- (Maker + Lead) Experience in developing and implementing learning experiences from ideation through implementation and analysis.
- (Maker + Lead) Capacity to draw from a wide variety of learning methodologies and apply them appropriately based on the context and the learner.
- (Studio manager) Experience using, maintaining and repairing digital fabrication tools.
- (Studio manager) Savvy using spreadsheets for budget creation
If you are up for your next challenge, please apply with
- your CV and/or portfolio,
- a brief letter (no more than one typed page) that outlines your vision for a day in the life of a learner in Learnlife's middle years or high school program,
- a short 2 minute video that introduces you, your interest in the position and your passion as an educator. PLEASE upload your video as a URL in the provided space.
At Learnlife, our culture of creativity and innovation is predicated on a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to creating an inclusive community where difference is valued. Everyone is unique and celebrated at Learnlife. All members of our community--families, learners, core team, partners, investors--feel safe to be their authentic selves.